dimanche 3 février 2013

Pan tilt control with an Xbox controller: the Processing code


To be able to use the buttons, joysticks and triggers of the xbox controler into processing easily, we need to use a librairy. There is a special librairy dedicated to jospads and controllers, it is called ProControll.

More info about Procontroll library: http://creativecomputing.cc/p5libs/procontroll/

With a controller like the Xbox 360 controller, acquiring a button change is quite easy. However, acquiring and using the value, for one or several axis, of the joystick, is a bit more difficult.
Actually, for the josticks, the value returned by the controller is a large floating decimal value.
This one needs to be converted into a value that we can directly use and send to the Arduino.
Also, as the joytick is not a perfect circle, and as it can be very sensitive, a function to control the tolerance needs to be used.

I have looked over internet, and I found this video on youtube:



The person described how to control a motor with a Xbox controller. There is below the video the description and also the code that the person used. I thank a lot Mr Mspinksosu because his video and code helped me a lot.

I adapted the code to fit in my project. The main changes are that I simplified the code a lot, I adapted the Processing side to get the value of the X and Y axis of the right joystick, and on the Arduino side, I removed the interuptions and I changed a bit the code in order to drive the servo with the servo.h library.

2 commentaires:

  1. Hi
    Could you please be so kind and share your adapted library on your blog for the benefit of others looking to start out with similar projects?

    Best Regards
    Michael Birnbaum

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I too could benefit from your adapted library (you would be cited in anything I develop with your code, too).

    RépondreSupprimer